Please take a look at some of these fantastic upcoming events over the Summer Holidays…
The Summer Reading Challenge combines FREE access to books with fun, creative activities during the summer holidays. Throughout the Challenge, library staff and young volunteers support the children, helping them to discover new authors and illustrators and to explore a wide range of different types of books and ways of reading,
How the Challenge works
- Children sign up through their local library and receive a Wild World Heroes collector poster
- Children set a reading goal and borrow and read library books of their own choice during the summer, collecting special stickers to complete their poster and extra incentives along the way
- The Library Facebook page will be hosting weekly FREE events to coincide with the Summer Reading Challenge and will be uploaded every Wednesday but will be available to play back at a later date.
- Each County Durham Library will be giving out weekly FREE craft activity packs to keep children entertained over the summer. There will be weekly ‘how to’ videos uploaded to our Facebook page on a Monday.
- Library staff and volunteers are on hand to advise
- Children who complete the Summer Reading Challenge are presented with a certificate and a medal
- The official Challenge website, wildworldheroes.org.uk, hosts digital rewards, author videos, games and more for children to enjoy all summer
You can find additional information and free resources to support children’s reading for pleasure in the Summer Reading Challenge School Zone: wildworldheroes.org.uk/school-zone-src